Job Title: RDH or RDHAP
Reports To: Program Manager
Effective Date: April 7th, 2017
Position Status: Per-Diem
Location: East Los Angeles, CA
Under the supervision of the Center for Oral Health Program Manager, the Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) or (RDHAP) is responsible for the oral assessment of dental patients, explains and interprets oral hygiene methods, applies preventive agents to clients, assists in planning, implementation and evaluation of dental health projects and performs related duties within the prescribed Scope of Practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform preventive and therapeutic dental hygiene services including pit and fissure sealants and fluoride treatments along with interim therapeutic restoration (ITR) and polishing of teeth
- Perform all Dental Hygiene Committee of California (DHCC) approved RDHAP/RDH duties as needed
- Assist with obtaining informed consent, make arrangements to provide services and provide those services through a collaborative oral health system
- Explanation and instruction in homecare procedures, tooth brushing, flossing and oral hygiene aids
- Explain fluoridation and its use through water, supplements, and mouth rinses
- Explanation of disease and caries process. Dietary and nutritional and tobacco counseling
- Explanation and instruction of fluoride and its proper usage for prevention education for patient topical application, homecare rinses and supplements
- Collect paper or electronic dental records (without a dentist supervision) including digital radiographs, photographs and charting of dental findings for the purpose of obtaining diagnostic data for the dentist to diagnose and treatment plan
- Collaborate with a dentist who will determine a plan for dental care for each patient
- Works in conjunction with dental team to coordinate and carry out treatment plan for patients and perform caries risk assessments
- Assist with Scheduling, Patient Conflicts, and Referrals
- Assist with Marketing Program/Community Outreach
Other duties may be assigned. The duties listed here are typical examples of the work performed; not all duties assigned are included, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education & Training: Completion of accredited training program for Dental Assistants..
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of previous experience with similar community-based project is required. Previous experience in working with billing software.
Other Skills & Qualifications
Bilingual skills in Spanish (English-Spanish) are strongly preferred.
Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access) for email, data access, budgeting, reporting, and navigation of COH’s computer systems.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Unrestricted license to practice as RDA in the State of California.
Valid CA Driver's License and Automobile Liability Insurance.
Must complete and submit documentation of the DOJ Live Scan process (Department of Justice) to obtain clearance to work in the County of Los Angeles. TB Screening: upon hire and periodically thereafter. TB clearance is a strict requirement for this position.
Must have reliable transportation and be available to travel to various locations where project is implemented.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, use hands, and to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision due to see the intricacies of the dental equipment. Prolonged sitting or standing may be required. Those physical movements and the degree of mobility normally associated with the practice of primary care dentistry will be performed on a repetitive basis. The ability to distinguish letters and symbols, as well as the ability to utilize telephones, computer terminals, and copiers is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work under stressful conditions as well as irregular hours may be required. Exposure to communicable diseases, body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, radiation and other conditions common to a clinical environment may routinely be encountered.
To be considered for this position, applicants must attach a resume and cover letter.
Please forward all to: